Staircase Vastu or Vastu for staircase is as important as any other placement in the overall Vastu design of a house. This is because the energies emanating from staircases are so powerful that they can literally make or break a house. With increasing prosperity, there has been an increase in demand for livable floor area and people have started constructing multiple floors within a building.
Staircase Vastu – Why is it important?
Stairs are important because they connect one floor level to the other. This means they act as a connecting link between the energies of different floors. For floors other than the ground floor, they facilitate the entry to that floor. In other words, the place where the stairs end on a floor is considered the entrance to that floor. Therefore, it has similar effects like an entrance. Much like a main entrance connects the external energies to the internal energies within a building, a staircase connects the energies of one floor to the other. External staircases also connect external energies to the internal energies within a house.
In Vastu Shastra, staircases are given a lot of importance because their effects are pronounced and easily visible. This means that if a staircase is built as per Vastu, the residents enjoy immense wealth, health and unimaginable growth.
How Direction Impacts Staircases According to Vastu?
- Energy Flow: Vastu emphasizes the flow of positive energy (prana) throughout the living spaces. The direction of the staircase can influence the smooth flow of energy in the house. Staircases in certain directions are believed to enhance the flow of positive energy, while others may disrupt it.
- Favorable Directions: The South, West, and Southwest directions are considered favorable for placing staircases. These directions are associated with stability, strength, and support. Staircases in these directions can bring a sense of grounding and security to the occupants.
- Unfavorable Directions: The Northeast direction is considered highly auspicious and sacred in Vastu. Placing a staircase in this direction is generally avoided, as it may disturb the harmonious and spiritual energy of the space. Staircases in the Northeast can lead to health and financial issues, as per Vastu beliefs.
- Center of the House: The center of the house is considered the Brahmasthan, a highly potent and sensitive area in Vastu. Placing a staircase in the exact center of the house can disrupt the energy flow and create imbalances in the living spaces.
- Circulation of Energy: The direction of the staircase can affect the circulation of energy between different floors of the house. A well-placed and properly oriented staircase can promote a harmonious energy flow, while a poorly placed one may cause energy stagnation or imbalances.
How to Choose Staircase Location as Per Vastu?
As per Vastu Shastra, the ancient Indian architectural and design system, the direction of the staircase can significantly impact the energy flow and overall harmony in a home or building. Here are some guidelines for the ideal direction of staircases according to Vastu:
- Staircase Placement: Staircases should ideally be placed in the South, West, or Southwest direction of the building. These directions are considered favorable for the movement of energy and can bring stability and strength to the occupants.
- Avoid Northeast Direction: Avoid constructing staircases in the Northeast direction of the building, as this area is associated with the sacred and spiritual energies. Placing a staircase here may disrupt the positive energies and lead to health and financial issues.
- Avoid Center of the House: It is best to avoid having a staircase in the center of the house, as it can block the free flow of energy in the living spaces and create imbalance.
- Clockwise Movement: If possible, design the staircase to move in a clockwise direction. This is believed to enhance positive energies and promote better fortune.
- Staircase Shape: The shape of the staircase is also important. Avoid spiral or circular staircases, as they can create confusion and instability. Instead, opt for straight or L-shaped staircases for better Vastu compliance.
- Light and Ventilation: Ensure that the staircase area receives ample natural light and ventilation. Well-lit and ventilated staircases attract positive energy and promote a sense of well-being.
- Noise Reduction: Use materials that reduce noise while constructing the staircase. A noisy staircase can lead to stress and disrupt the tranquility of the home.
- Clear Passage: Keep the staircase area clutter-free and ensure there is enough space for easy movement. A cluttered staircase can obstruct the flow of energy.
Vastu Remedies: In some cases, it may not be possible to avoid placing a staircase in an unfavorable direction due to architectural constraints. In such situations, Vastu remedies, such as using specific colors, symbols, or Vastu-enhancing materials, can be applied to mitigate the negative effects.
Staircase colour as per Vastu
Light shades should be your only colour choice when painting the stairs or the bonniest. Avoid dark shades on the stairs. The walls adjoining the staircase can be decorated with wallpaper of your choice, preferably not too dark.
Usage of Space Under the Stairs
In small homes, the space under the staircase is often used to build a small kitchen, bathroom or puja room. Sometimes, a small workstation is also created under the staircase, to utilize the area optimally. This should be strictly avoided. The space under the staircase should be used for nothing but storage of common household items, say Vastu expert in Delhi. Cabinets containing valuable items, such as cash or jewelry, should not be kept in this space. Do not use this space for keeping discarded items or worn-out f ootwear.